Psalm 1:1-3 - “How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, Nor stand in the path of sinners, Nor sit in the seat of scoffers! But his delight is in the law of the Lord, And in His law he meditates day and night. He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, Which yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither; and in whatever he does, he prospers.”
Josh. 1:8 - “This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success.”
Deut. 6:4-9 - “Hear, O Israel! The Lord is our God, the Lord is one! You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.”
• What does it look like to meditate on God’s Word? How is this meditation different than meditation practiced in other religions, such as Buddhism or Hinduism?
Scripture memory is helpful; God promises to bring to our remembrance scriptures we have meditated on in the past (John 14:26).
• What are some examples of times when God brought a scripture to your mind to guide, encourage, and help you?
The Pharisees did a good job memorizing God’s Word, and yet they missed an important part of biblical meditation.
• What do we need to do as we meditate on God’s Word, in addition to Scripture memory, to avoid what happened to the Pharisees? (Matt. 23:1-7)
• What time and day(s) do you plan to worship God this week?
• What time and day(s) do you plan to pray to God this week?
• What time and day(s) do you plan to study the Bible this week?
• What scripture(s) do you want to meditate on this week?
One way to select verses is to use Gary’s Word of the Day - http://gracearlington.com/wordoftheday/
Another great starting point is the Navigators’ scripture memory verses. https://www.navigators.org/resource/topical-memory-system/
Photographer. Designer. Colorist.